True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. Used to produce quick conditioning pseudo lager beers. Poor flocculating yeast requires filtration to produce bright beers, or additional settling time.
- Probable origin: Cologne, Germany
- Beer Styles: Traditional American use – Kolsch, Fruit beers, Light pseudo lagers
- Commercial examples may include: Kess, Paffgen, Muhlen
- Flocculation: low
- Apparent Attenuation: 73-77%
- Temperature Range: 56-70°F (13-21°C)
- Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV
Activator packages are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons of standard wort. Activator packages contain at least 100 billion live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.